Contributors

Blog Archive

Followers

Thursday, May 03, 2012

Droneless Oud

Droneless Oud


I played Shehata oud with tambura drone set G, pa-SA-SA-sa.
I played this way for 14 minutes. I set oud into the drone.
I turned the drone off, hence 'droneless oud.'
I played for 4'40" without drone.
The drone remained in my memory and my muscle memory.
The oud never lost its bearing but continued with silent drone.
At the end of the universe this may be one of the very last songs.
The drone has disappeared but it continues in wayward and ragged
music.
The oud continues its 'philosophy of the disappearing drone.'
It plays the accident and death of the drone set G.
Listeners, do not for a moment think that the drone is forever
gone.
Listeners, do not think for a second that nothing remains.
The oud is free in its mourning of the drone set pa-SA-SA-sa.
The ragged oud sings the life and death of drone.
It sings the life and death of the universe at the end of the
universe.
It sings the last song and this is the last song.
This is the song of the drone set G.
This is the song of the drone set pa-SA-SA-sa.

http://www.alansondheim.org/dronelessoud.mp3

No comments: